Ever find yourself in the grocery store wondering exactly what to buy to make healthier choices? There is so much confusion about what you need to do and which products are the best.
You choose items that say things like “low carb,” “low fat,” “no added sugar,” and “sugar-free,” but you just aren’t quite making progress. You aren’t sure if these items are an improvement, but you need something that is EASY? Well, keep reading for a list of items that will help clean up your grocery cart.
The BEST tip that everyone should follow is to shop the perimeter of the grocery store first! Fill your cart with fruits, veggies, and lean meats. In most places, all of these items are NOT down the aisles, they are all around the edge or perimeter of the store. Once you have finished shopping the perimeter truck down the aisles for these staple items:
- Snack Bars (Rx Bars or Low Sugar Kind Bars). General guidelines are to look for 7-14 grams of protein, 9-18 grams of carbohydrates, and 3-6 grams of fat.
- Low-Calorie (lower sodium) frozen meals. Pair with salad, fruits, or veggies.
- Deli Meat (low-sodium). Pair with avocado, salad or veggies, and fruit for a quick lunch or with hummus for a quick snack.
- Pre-cooked brown rice and quinoa (you can save up to 45 minutes by doing this).
- Black beans in a can are a great source of fiber.
- SALSA!! It goes great on everything and is naturally low calorie.
- Frozen steam fresh veggie bags. Just pop them in the microwave.
- Dark Chocolate with 70% or more Cacao to curb a sweet tooth.
While this is NOT a comprehensive list of items to buy, it is a great start! Making small sustainable changes is the best way to achieve progress and keep it! If you need more accountability and help to make changes to your nutrition, book a free nutrition consult by clicking the link below!
To Your Continued Success,